Preseason Game 3: Bengals vs. Eagles
Just a quick run through on all the big moments from tonight’s game. Complete game highlights can be found right here.
- Bengals win 22-9 and they won the battle of the starters 7-6. The starters played the entire first half as if it where the dress rehearsal game.
- Morgen Trent had the football equivalent of a hat trick when he picked off Eagles quarterbacks 3 times throughout the night.
- Chad Ochocinco got rocked and walked off the field gingerly but would be OK. The video is here.
- Gibril Wilson is rumored to be out for the year as whispers around the team are saying he suffered a torn ACL and MCL vs. the Eagles. The injury opens the door for Rico Murray to have a shot to make this years 53 man roster, however the position will most likely be awarded to last years special teams captain, Kyries Hebert.
- Carson and T.O. continued to look sharp and on the same page and even connected on a beautiful deep ball that set up the Bengals first touchdown. On the other side, Carson and Ocho seem to be having issues connecting through the air thus far. The two have looked sloppy all around and the timing looks off, hopefully a few more reps will rectify the situation.
- Michael Johnson, Geno Atkins, and Carlos Dunlap all showed flashes of brilliance, and they are shining examples of how good the scouting has been for the Bengals on the defensive line over the last few years. These 3 have the ability to be the future starters across the board on the d-line.
- Jermaine Gresham looks as good as I could have ever hoped. The player I was praying for the Bengals to draft has shown all the critics that he deserved to be selected as high as he was. The TE looked fast and physical and moved the chains on a few occasions as Palmer continually looked for him on nearly all of their third down attempts.
- The D looked much improved and played with a lot of energy.
- Adam Jones is proving everyone wrong and looks to be a lock for the starting kick returner job and probably the third corner back spot (and yes that may just be the nail in the coffin for Cosby to be cut from the final 53 man roster).
- Dez Briscoe and Matt Jones did not stand out and Jerome Simpson fumbled after making a nice catch and run play. This receiver battle is still wide open and no one is stepping up to take the job.